Monday, April 25, 2011
OK, this is just wicked smart! Dig the U-Socket, an awesome USB charging station for your iPad, iPhone and iPod within your standard power outlet. Juice up without having to mess with your Mac!
You know you want one: U-Socket.
Working on the branding and identity development of the soon to be open Dog & Bee Pub in Beeville the last few months I've had hexagons and honeycombs invading my dreams and seemingly popping up everywhere I look. These are a few of my favorite examples:
Honeycomb window in Registan Square, Samarkand, Uzbekistan, thanks to Apartment Therapy.
Nectar is a hanging lamp series by Rebecca Asquith made of lightweight felted polyester that resemble the shapes seen in beehives. At night, they show off a warm glow that emphasizes the unique hexagonal construction.
The Hive Vase from the folks at West Elm.
The Interior Design of The Disney Store Headquarters by Clive Wilkinson Architects
And finally, these very cool honeycomb shelves from the UK's Unto This Last.
Some Sweet Honey Facts:
1. Honey contains vitamins and antioxidants, but is fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free!
2. One antioxidant called “pinocembrin” is only found in honey.
3. Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
4. Honey has the ability to attract and absorb moisture, which makes it remarkably soothing for minor burns and helps to prevent scarring.
5. Honey speeds the healing of open wounds and also combats infection.
6. As recently as the First World War, honey was being mixed with cod liver oil to dress wounds on the battlefield.
7. Modern science now acknowledges honey as an anti-microbial agent, which means it deters the growth of certain types of bacteria, yeast and molds.
8. Honey and beeswax form the basics of many skin creams, lip-balms, and hand lotions.
9. According to Dr. Paul Gold, a Professor of Psychology at the University of Virginia, “people remember things much better after they’ve consumed glucose, a form of sugar found in honey.”
10. Honey is nature’s energy booster! It provides a concentrated energy source that helps prevent fatigue and can boost athletic performance.
11. Recent studies have proven that athletes who took some honey before and after competing recovered more quickly than those who did not.
12. Honey supplies 2 stages of energy. The glucose in honey is absorbed by the body quickly and gives an immediate energy boost. The fructose is absorbed more slowly providing sustained energy.
Gracias to Golden Blossom Honey for the honey facts info.
The flip-side of our first batch of Dog & Bee coasters incorporates a series of honeycombs to play BuzzBee©, a simple little parlor game that's currently in development - stay tuned!
Oh, and one last thing, have you heard about the Magic Hexagon? Pretty sweet stuff!
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Happy Easter Y'all!
Well, other than the bunny, above, this post has absolutely nothing to do with Easter. These are just a small sample of some excellent Soviet Era illustration and typography via this nice little stash of vintage Soviet Posters.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Check out ModFire, a totally modern take on the outdoor fireplace.
Handcrafted out of thick fourteen gauge steel and colorfully coated in hi-temp paint, 48″ tall and 22″ wide, the ModFire would look really sweet in just about any backyard.
Designed and manufactured by hand in the Modfire steel studio in Arizona, they come in a variety of striking colors and several fuel burning options, including wood, propane and natural gas.
Now, if I only had an extra grand lying around I'd grab the red one.
Mucho Mas: Modfire
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Saturday, April 09, 2011
This is pretty genius. I think every bar should print these on the flip-side of all their napkins.
Think about it.
Get yours here.
Don't be a selfish idiot - don't drink and drive!
Friday, April 08, 2011
Sunday, April 03, 2011
Man, I relly love DropBox. And it really wasn't until I read this totally helpful, comprehensive and well researched piece by Jarel Remick from Web AppStorm that I realized just how powerful this free service can be.
I've been using DropBox as my FTP for the last couple of years and I'm totally amazed at how well it works. You can thank me later, go get your free 2 Gigs now and tell 'em HMK sent you! Drop Box.
Dig: The Ultimate Dropbox Toolkit & Guide.