Thursday, July 05, 2007

Anatomy of a To-Do


This is an older post from the smart folks over at 43 Folders that I find myself re-reading every few months or so in my effort to getting things done in the most efficient way possible.

The primary idea of a to-do is that it’s a task that can and should be done – a point that might seem obvious until you start uncovering how many of the items on your to-do list may not belong there (or, conversely, how many uncaptured items do).

The best and most useful to-dos share common qualities:

It’s a physical action.
It can be accomplished at a sitting.
It supports valuable progress toward a recognized goal.
It’s something for which you are the most appropriate person for the job.

Glancing at your own to-do list, do you see any potential troublemakers?

Notice any items that make you squeamish?

Any mystery meat tasks that seem "un-doable" as is?

Relax. 43 Folders will have you shaped up in no time.

I dig using John Blyberg's awesome Card Generator to create my list and then make it my monthly, impossible to ignore, laptop screen saver.


That's Right,

HMK

No comments:

Post a Comment